Legal Educator & Consultant
As an adjudicator, you must deliver clear and concise reasons that meet the needs of your audience.
This is an art and a skill requiring continuing refinement.
This intensive, two-day program builds on principles and skills learned in previous decision writing training programs delivered by SOAR and/or OsgoodePD. This hands-on program takes a deep dive into key areas of written judgments and will strengthen your decision-writing skills through individualized feedback on your own writing style and voice. It also provides an opportunity to engage with other experienced adjudicators and explore evolving ideas about what makes writing “great”.
What you’ll learn
Learn how to bring a more audience-focused perspective to your decision writing
Craft powerful introductions and use narrative to meet the needs of your audience
Explore innovative techniques to provide context and use point-first writing
Develop an effective writing process, and structure issue-driven decisions
Register now! This program sells out in each offering, and is strictly capped to ensure an interactive learning experience at the advanced level.
In small groups, you will refine and hone your overall decision writing skills and point-first writing principles. Practical exercises – custom developed for this program – focus on improving clarity at the paragraph, sentence and word level. You will learn to develop a clear and credible voice and boost your confidence when delivering oral and written judgements.
Note: This program requires PRE-PROGRAM PREPARATION
- Participants will be asked to submit electronically a decision they have written (8 to 15 pages in length, featuring more than one issue).
- Participants who are unable to submit a decision for review can request a copy of a generic decision to work with during the program.
- Detailed instructions about how to submit a decision or request a generic decision will be sent by email.
- Facilitators will review the decision, using a template of the key learning objectives, in order to provide feedback to each participant, and to help participants prepare to revise the decision during the course.
- In the workshops, participants will mostly be working on revisions to the decision they submit. For that reason, they are strongly encouraged to have their submitted decision easily accessible either in hard copy or electronically to make revisions during the sessions.
Who Should Attend
Graduates of the OsgoodePD/SOAR Certificate in Adjudication OR
Participants who have completed Effective Decision Writing (SOAR/OPD – 1 day workshop) OR
Experienced decision-writers, reviewers, and counsel with administrative and regulatory agencies, boards and tribunals (at least 2-3 years of adjudicative experience)
Legal Educator & Consultant
SAO Legal Writing
Legal Communication and Litigation Consultant, Mandell Coaching
Co-Director Legal Writing Academy, University of Ottawa
Professor, Humber College (retired)
“Is financial assistance or funding available?”
As law evolves, we know how important it is to stay up to date. We also understand the financial implications of continuously upgrading your professional skills and knowledge. For more information on available options, including Job Grants, OSAP, please visit:
Deeper Learning Opportunities
LLMsPart-time LLMs Full-time LLMs
The Osgoode Certificate
Stay competitive with deep dives into the most critical issues in law. Taught by leading experts and designed for flexible learning, choose from multi-day programs or take courses at your own pace to build towards a certificate.Explore certificates