Miller Thomson LLP
Gain an understanding of essential topics in estate planning and administration from the experts.
In this program, you will gain an in-depth and interactive learning experience designed and delivered by some of Canada’s leading estate planning practitioners. Over one and a half days, you will have the opportunity to explore complex estate planning issues while updating and reinforcing your core knowledge and skills.
Refresh your knowledge on basic concepts and take part in in-depth discussions of complex issues in wills and estates. Complete the program on its own, or as part of The Osgoode Intensive Program in Wills and Estates. As the first offering in the Osgoode Intensive Program in Wills and Estates, this program will provide you with foundational knowledge and set you up for success in subsequent programs.
Registration includes 120-day unlimited, online access to the recorded program.
What You’ll Learn
Initial considerations in estate planning and administration
- The lawyer’s responsibility regarding substantiating capacity
- Dealing with undue influence leading to will changes
Key issues in taxation during estate planning
- Taxation of testamentary trusts
- Charitable bequests and estate donations
Best practices for protecting yourself and your client
Overview of will drafting, executing and reporting
- Using multiple wills
- Tips of advising on and drafting multi-jurisdictional wills
- Preferential treatment to one beneficiary
- Avoiding common errors when dealing with complex situations
- Getting a will signed in difficult situations
- Techniques to avoid negligence claims
Fundamentals of estate administration
- How to determine which assets form part of the estate
- Disclosure issues – what are beneficiaries entitled to know?
- Securing and administering the assets with and without a certificate
- Potential liability issues facing the estate trustees
Who Should Attend
Lawyers practicing or wishing to practice in wills and estates
Miller Thomson LLP
“Is financial assistance or funding available?”
As law evolves, we know how important it is to stay up to date. We also understand the financial implications of continuously upgrading your professional skills and knowledge. For more information on available options, including Job Grants, OSAP, please visit:
CPD and Accreditation
OsgoodePD is an accredited provider with the LSO, the Law Society of BC and NY CLE Board. Select your location to view the eligible hours you may claim.
|LawPRO Risk Management Credit
Are you reporting hours from a previous date?
View our CPD & Accreditation page to see previously calculated hours for this course.
Deeper Learning Opportunities
LLMsPart-time LLMs Full-time LLMs
The Osgoode Certificate
Stay competitive with deep dives into the most critical issues in law. Taught by leading experts and designed for flexible learning, choose from multi-day programs or take courses at your own pace to build towards a certificate.Explore certificates
Frequently Asked Questions
Client and Technical Support
Have questions? Get advice in person, by email or over the phone.
Online Technical Requirements
To ensure you do not encounter any issues that will impact or limit your learning experience, please review the following information.