Kimberly A. Whaley
Passing of accounts requires complex and multi-part considerations. You need to understand the idiosyncrasies and common errors in this area in order to have a successful Wills and Estates practice.
Over one intensive evening, our expert faculty will teach you how to effectively manage and advise on passing of accounts, compensation and fiduciary accounting issues. You will learn the latest case law updates, and will benefit from hands-on exercises where you will review sample estate accounts.
Can’t attend the live session? Registration includes 120-day unlimited, online access to the recorded program.
What You’ll Learn
Passing of Accounts: The Basics
- Circumstances when accounts need to be passed
- Jurisdiction to pass accounts
- Relevant limitation periods to consider
- Procedure and rules for passing accounts of: Guardian of Property – Incapable person; Guardian of Property- Minor; Attorneys for Property; Estate Trustees and Trustees
- Uncontested vs. contested court passings
- Remedies for the failure to account
- Procedural requirements and jurisdictional idiosyncrasies in Passings of Accounts
- Case law update
Overview of Compensation
- Compensation for Estate Trustees
- Compensation for Guardians and Attorneys
The Office of the Children’s Lawyer and the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee in Reviewing Accounts: their role, review process and common objections
- What the Office of the Children’s Lawyer and the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee look for when reviewing accounts
- Common Objections made by the Children’s Lawyer and the OPGT
Reviewing Accounts: What Lawyers Need to Look For
- Guidelines for distinguishing between income and capital
- How to conduct a thorough analysis- which numbers need to add up where?
- Common errors to watch out for
- What qualifies as inadequate accounting?
Who Should Attend
Lawyers practicing or wishing to practice in wills and estates
Kimberly A. Whaley
“Is financial assistance or funding available?”
As law evolves, we know how important it is to stay up to date. We also understand the financial implications of continuously upgrading your professional skills and knowledge. For more information on available options, including Job Grants, OSAP, please visit:
CPD and Accreditation
OsgoodePD is an accredited provider with the LSO, the Law Society of BC and NY CLE Board. Select your location to view the eligible hours you may claim.
Are you reporting hours from a previous date?
View our CPD & Accreditation page to see previously calculated hours for this course.
Deeper Learning Opportunities
LLMsPart-time LLMs Full-time LLMs
The Osgoode Certificate
Stay competitive with deep dives into the most critical issues in law. Taught by leading experts and designed for flexible learning, choose from multi-day programs or take courses at your own pace to build towards a certificate.Explore certificates
Frequently Asked Questions
Client and Technical Support
Have questions? Get advice in person, by email or over the phone.
Online Technical Requirements
To ensure you do not encounter any issues that will impact or limit your learning experience, please review the following information.