Drill down on the foundations of defamation law and procedure in an intensive online primer.
Our expert faculty will guide you through the key stages of a defamation claim.
Learn at your convenience and at your own pace in this unique OnDemand program (total running time approximately 2 hours).
What You’ll learn
Do you have a case for defamation?
- The test for defamation
- Determining a defamatory meaning
- What constitutes “publication”?
- What is needed for “identification”?
Defences to defamation
- “Big 4” defences: truth/justification, fair comment, qualified privilege and responsible communicatio
- Additional defences: absolute privilege and statutory defences
The “End Game”: What does your client want to achieve?
- Remedies available through a defamation action
- The cost/ benefit analysis of pursuing a defamation action
- Alternatives to a defamation action
Pursuing a claim: First steps
- Assessing whether the notice and limitation provisions of the Libel and Slander Act apply
- Drafting a libel notice – practical tips and precedents
- Practical first steps for trying to resolve a dispute, including cease-and-desist letters
Drafting a defamation claim
- Rules of pleading for defamation claims
- Tips for avoiding pitfalls and motions to strike
- Review of precedents
Responding to a defamation claim
- Pleading the defences to defamation claims
- Asking for particulars
- Evaluating the merits of an anti-SLAPP motion or a motion to strike
Documentary production and examinations for discovery in defamation proceedings
- The scope of documentary production in defamation proceedings
- Key areas for defendants to explore on examination for discovery
- Key areas for plaintiffs to explore on examination for discovery
Who Should Attend
Civil litigators (plaintiffs’ and defendants’ counsel)
In-house litigation counsel / Corporate Counsel
View the program brochure and agenda to see what you’ll learn from leading experts.
“Is financial assistance or funding available?”
As law evolves, we know how important it is to stay up to date. We also understand the financial implications of continuously upgrading your professional skills and knowledge. For more information on available options, including Job Grants, OSAP, please visit:
CPD and Accreditation
OsgoodePD is an accredited provider with the LSO, the Law Society of BC and NY CLE Board. Select your location to view the eligible hours you may claim.
Are you reporting hours from a previous date?
View our CPD & Accreditation page to see previously calculated hours for this course.
Deeper Learning Opportunities
The Osgoode Certificate
Stay competitive with deep dives into the most critical issues in law. Taught by leading experts and designed for flexible learning, choose from multi-day programs or take courses at your own pace to build towards a certificate.Explore certificates
Single Course Enrollment
Do you have an LLB/JD? Consider taking a single LLM course for deeper learning in a specific area of practice – all credits will apply towards a Professional LLM.Explore LLM courses